Saturday, January 3, 2015

Turkey Trip: Hagia Sophia

A few of the places we visited were so amazing that they need their own posts.

I've been fortunate enough to see wonderful sites like St. Peter's Basilica, the Cathedral of Notre Dame, the Pantheon, Versailles, Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai, and my personal favorite: Sainte-Chappelle in Paris with its beautiful stained glass.  

The Hagia Sofia now heads that list.  It is utterly stunning - I literally stood still with my mouth hanging open for the first few minutes I was inside.  Here are just a few pictures from that glorious building.

The line outside was fairly short
View of the main apse from the gallery.
Main apse
Interior of the main dome
The sultan's library was behind this wall
Closeup on the Deësis Mosaic, showing Jesus as Christ Pantocrator
View of the medallions, minbar, and interior 

No comments:

Post a Comment