Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Long Overdue Visit to Milwaukee

My mom died when I was two. I would try to keep in touch with that side of the family, but it was hard. The last time I saw my grandma was in 1996. After Geek Girl was born we kept saying we had to go visit her, but we never got around to it. So part of our reason for picking Chicago as a destination was its proximity to Milwaukee.

On Friday night my aunt and uncle had driven down to Chicago for a meeting and they took us out to dinner in Chinatown. Saturday morning we had breakfast in the condo and had fun watching a "boat" parade pass by below.


After my aunt and uncle picked us up we drove up to Milwaukee to see my grandma. She's 96 years old and still doing great. I think she was quite happy to meet Daddy Geek and obviously very happy to meet Geek Girl.

Here are some pictures of the family reunion.

(Addition by Daddy Geek: note that four generations of Mama Geek's family are in this picture!)


Tai Po had fun stealing kisses from Geek Girl. We thought Geek Girl was rubbing them off, but she said that she said she was rubbing them in.

My uncle is recently retired and one of his projects has been scanning in family pictures. I was thrilled to receive a CD of pictures of my mother and her family. More than a few tears were shed. I was very happy that we had finally made the trip. Afterwards we went out to lunch and then my aunt drove us to Chicago O'Hare to catch our flight home.

No comments:

Post a Comment